Thursday, November 5, 2009

Battered Fried Fish

I'm feeling too lazy to waste the afternoon on a blog post or two, so this is my attempt at being succinct. I achieved an amazing feat of epicurean prowess last night by seperating egg whites, then beating the  whisking the whites until they formed "stiff peaks". I realise that peope who bake do this all the time, but for me it was a first, of which I am truly proud. I have achieved the next level.

The recipe itself was nothing like healthy, except that it was fish, but it definitely was tasty.
And yes, I  forgot to take photos again.

The recipe from http://www.myrecipes.com/ is supposed to be for healthy baked fish - but my broken oven only allows me to make deep fried stuff, so the recipe is a little bit butchered to suit my needs.

Beer-Battered Fried Fish
Ingredients:

  1. 1 cup multi-purpose flour

  2. 1/2 tsp pepper

  3. 1/4 tsp garlic salt

  4. 2/3 cup beer

  5. 2 large egg whites

  6. 2 cups of dried breadcrumbs

  7. 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

  8. 600g white fish flesh (supposedly cut into 1 inch strips, which I've just seen in the recipe now)
Take a big bowl, insert flour, pepper and salt.
Mix.
Insert beer.
Mix.
"Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form."
"Gently fold egg white mixture into flour mixture." (Fancy hey?)
In a seperate shallow dish, mix breadcrumbs and parsley. (Note: I had just washed the parsley before I chopped it up, so it stuck together in clumps, which is not good, try to get it the parsley dry first)
Take a strip of fish, dip in flour mixture, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
Deep fry for a few minutes per piece of fish.
Note that fish cooks QUICKLY in hot oil, and I reckon you want the oil pretty hot. I was really sliding a piece of fish into the wok (wok used to use less oil), nipping outside, taking 2 drags of a cigarette, then a swig of beer, then back inside to flip the fish (I also only had enough oil to cover half the fish at any one time). Repeat the process for each piece of fish.

Serve with deep fried chips (once again, because the oven is broken), and a lemon wedge (important). Maybe in future I'll put a slice of cucumber and a lettuce leaf on the plate so there's at least some for veggie served (does tomato sauce count?).

No comments:

Post a Comment