Thursday, April 8, 2010

Leftover Lamb Pie

Right. So the Easter weekend is officially over. Everybody in the household is feeling shitty from eating way too much rich food and chocolate over the weekend - and a significant amount of liquor. What better way to cure everybody than to feed them MORE fatty lamb?

As usual the recipe comes from taste.com.au, but when it came to actually cooking it I found that the quantities of leftovers I had didn't at all match what the recipe said, so its pretty ad-libbed. I've posted my version below.

Once again, my cooking shenanigans have progressed to the next level of mastery - I used pastry! Granted, I didn't make the pastry, it was a roll of store-bought puff pastry. But to me pastry was another one of those mental blocks - looks complicated and technical and a little bit too organized for the king of ad-hoc cookery. I do, of course, feel like a little bit of a silly twat now that I've tried it and seen how simple it is to use. But that's why Life is a Journey, if we started off knowing everything then the whole trip would be a whole lot less trippy.

Stop talking crap Murray!

Leftover Roast lamb and veggie pie

Ingredients
Left over meat from 3 legs of lamb - chopped into bite-sized bits
Big bowl of left over roast pumkin
Big bowl of left over roast potatoes
Smaller bowl of left over green beans
Some leftover mint sauce
Just under a litre of beef stock
About 3 tablespoons Bisto
An Onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
Oil for frying
A packet of puff pastry

Method
Preheat oven to 200

Fry onion and garlic for a few mintues, till onion is transparent and squishy, but not brown
Add lamb and veggies.
Fry for a few more minutes to slightly brown/crisp everything.
Stir in stock and bisto.
Stir in some mint sauce (add sauce, stir, taste, repeat until awesomeness is achieved)
Bring to the boil, and then let simmer for 10 or 15 minutes.

Taste the stew. Awesomeness.
Spoon stew into a casserole dish (I think that's what they're called), till its about 5cm deep.

Roll out a piece of puff pastry and lay over the top of the stew. (I'm going to assume you know how to do this because I don't feel like writing it all out. Wifey had to teach me last night.)

If you happen to get 2 pies out of this mission (like I did), then you now is the time to clingwrap one of them and stick it in the freezer for one day in the future when you're no longer sick of roast lamb.

Poke holes in the pastry to it doesn't explode (the pie you're baking, not the one you're freezing). Brush with egg.
Bake for a few minutes until golden brown and delectably crispy.

Decide that I'm too tired to eat supper tonight, put pie in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.
Sleep like the dead trying to recover from whatever it is that's making me feel like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment