Friday, January 8, 2010

Hoisin-chicken stir-fry with peppers and baby corn

I have found the secret ingredient!

Decided to make a recipe from Mediterrasian.com, because, despite loving making and eating stir fries, I've only got about 1 decent recipe for them.

This one called for Hoisin Sauce - and thankfully Chinese food and ingredients are one thing that you can find in wonderous variety in Mauritian supermarkets. I've never used Hoisin before, but as I cracked open the bottle the smell was amazing. This is clearly the stuff that they use to make the sticky-sweet-and-savoury coating for Peking Duck. I was instantly in love and will start experimenting with the stuff as soon as possible. Hmmm - imagine sticky basting sauce for pork chops on the braai - wicked.

Anyway, I wasn't making pork chops, and Wifey has approved the dinner as one that I can make again - so it goes like this.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons peanut oil
360g skinless chicken breasts - cut into thin strips.
1 1/2 green peppers - julienned.
420g can o baby corn - cut into pieces.
2 cloves garlic - minced (I got lazy and just sliced it thinly)
2 spring onions - diagonally sliced (I seriously need to start growing these - because it drived me crazy buying a whole bunch from the shop and then using 2, only to watch the rest go manky in the fridge) (So I sliced up a small onion instead)

Method:
Cook rice (actually I made noodles)
Mix together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, water and sesame oil in a small bowl.
Heat wok over super-high heat, then add 1 tbspn peanut oil.
Add chicken and stir-fry till browned (DO NOT OVERCOOK - DON'T LET THE WIFE SEE HOW RAW IT STILL IS WHEN YOU TAKE IT OFF - JUST BROWN IT, SOME PINK IS ACCEPTABLE, IT'S GONNA COOK A LITTLE MORE LATER - THIS IS THE SECRET TO TENDER STIR-FRIED MEAT - I bet Salmonela's not that bad anyway.)
Remove chicken from the wok and set aside.
Add the other tablespoon peanut oil and stir fry green pepper for 2 minutes.
Add corn and garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
Add spring onions and stir fry for 30 seconds.
Add sauce mixture and chicken and stir fry to combine.
Serve over rice (or noodles)

The great thing about stir-frying is that, aside from prep'ing the vegetables, the actual cooking time is really quick. If you boil the kettle to cook the noodles as you switch on the wok, then the noodles are ready about the same time as the rest of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment